Uncustomary Hiccups

Deranged extreme.

12.01.2004

Ignoring the Anime & Manga Wave? 

I'm sad. So out of idle curosity I searched CNN for "Anime" and " Manga" and returned horrible results.

For Manga, I returned no results at all. There is actually a place called La Manga, but that is not what I was looking for. Manga is the term to describe comics or graphic novels as it is known in the US. But Manga is more specific to Japanese Comics. Lately Taiwan and Korea has been joining the act and are pretty good actually. These comics are not like the typical ones of the US that are filled with only action and meant for little boys. No, they cover things like love, death, fate, betrayal...you name it, it's there. They are really seperated into sections. Shoujo (Girls Manga), Shounen (Boys Manga), Shounen Ai (BoyXboy relations), Yaoi, and Hentai. I leave the last two up to the readers curiosity to find the meaning. These categories are not set, but really describe the targeted group is trying to serve, but anyone reads them. I enjoy a few many Shounen mangas and there are some that just don't fall into any of the categories.

For Anime, I returned a few and really the most current one was from August. Please, it's already December. Also most of the articles were based on information pertaining to US Anime. Anime or Animation is really just the animated version of Manga and has just recently become into being while Manga has been around for awhile.

But I think is just saddening that there are no articles on this growing craze. I've been with it much longer but I'm all for increase publicity. Have the newspeople have walked in a Borders? Even if you walked in there a year ago, there would only be about one bookself to "Graphic Novels" (HATE THAT TERM!) and most of it would be made of US. But if you walk in now, at least at borders, there are at least 4 very TALL bookselves. Go to the one on Liberty and there are at least I say.... almost 8. I might be wrong but it's just so fantastic!! And there are always at least 5 people standing around engrossed in a MANGA. Just make sure you aren't the ones that giggle randomly...they distrub me.

So join the wave! As recommendations of things that have been licensced in the US and have easy access (No downloading required ;)

Manga:
Fruit Basket (Shoujo)
Get Backers (Shounen)
X1999
DNAngel
Kill me, Kiss me (Shoujo, Korean)
Peach Girl (Shoujo, Taiwan)
INVU (Shoujo, Korean)
Clover
Gravitation(Shounen Ai)
OR just go to the bookstore and read whatever sounds interesting

Anime:
Get Backers
X
DNAngel
Witch Hunter Robin *high recommendation
Scrapped Princess (Shannon-ni is so Fiiiiiiiine!) *no liscenced
Escaflowne
Wolf's Rain *Another high rec
Read or Die OVA or TV series


~Why do you stay out past night....Scary eyes~


Posted by Steviek @ 20:53

Comments:

Ann Arbor seems like a pretty decent place to pick up English versions of many manga, though, especially when compared to my hometown Harbor Springs.
I think Underworld has Manga (in the mall on S.University).
I've purchased a few Cowboy Bebop mangas from Amazon Japan; but I recall having mentioned the series to you, and you turned your nose up! I guess I'll have to look up some of your recommendations.
By Blogger Aaron E.K., at 10:24 PM
invisible