Uncustomary Hiccups

Deranged extreme.

6.13.2005

Obsession: no not the fragrence 

I'm obsessed. I don't get like this often but I'm obessesed.


Ok, so howl's moving castle's plot isn't put together as well as some of his others. There are some holes and some of the side characters flash in and out and could be more indepth, but the main characters are all there, including all their parts.

The movie has miyazaki's usually themes of anti-war, flying (my favorite), but they weren't as prominate as usual. The story was really centered around Sophie and Howl and how they each change and come to understand themselves. It's such a happy little story and there are so many great little characters! Like Michael...wanna take him home with me. Or the fat doggy...oh god, the fat doggy.

I watched parts of it again last night with Shari. It just makes me so happy and there are so many things that you see in there that you didn't notice the first time. The backgrounds and landscapes are honestly...just gorgeous. It makes want to live in there. He's so creative with his worlds, they are so facinating in that there's so much of what we live in, but so much more of things I've never thought of and how it seems to mix seamlessly together. I think that's one of the greatest things about his movies, any writers, is how they can make a world that would never be on this earth, seem real and possible. I've read very few who can do it: Anne McCaffery, Patricia Wrede, Piers Anthony. My heart is giddy with excitment....it's like I'm in love.
Howl's NY Times Article where I got the pic

As an Add on : I just discoverd that script when originally compiled was not meant for Miyazaki and that he wasn't intended for the director. He just joined pre-production. So it has the feel but maybe not the complexity or the depth that most are use to. But I have been reading some forums and it is good to point out that this movie shouldn't be compared to others as a rating of how good it is. It should be rated for itself. And based on itself it's great!

I think humans are one of the most akward things I've ever seen. How we stand. How we walk, our gait: The lift of the leg, the slide forward, the twist of the upper body, the pounding of the foot as it comes back down. When we talk, those pauses, those akward comments, the hand gestures. And then we add things like...hair accessories, hair gel, gunk, color, high heels, shoes, loose clothing that slows us down. We decorate ourselves with cars, roads, houses, unbrellas that don't seem to fit in with us or the enviornment around us. Why do we require the need to reshape things around us so that it fits us better?

I ran on friday, and my upper thighs are still sore today. ba-lah! my legs are really out of shape, my upper body is better cause I use it more when I swim....when I swim.

Ok off to search for more howl's moving castle links. Must find OST: top of list ;)

oh yeah. my brother is keeping track of some of his days in taiwan. Check it out. He's pretty phunny...considering he's my bro ;)
Michael's Site
Posted by Steviek @ 09:53

Comments:

invisible